First problem with XP SP3

After hearing all the disaster reports about installing SP3 I decided to take the dive and installed it on my works ‘Intel’ laptop. It all seemed to go on fine. Could not really say if its much quicker. Maybe boots up a bit quicker but didn’t do any timed tests. As it all worked fine I then installed it on my works desktop (again Intel) no problems again…

…then only a new little server I was building for a friend. Fresh install…got to SP3 – installed fine. It found some updates…but they would not install. No updates would install via Windows Update.

After a bit of googling it appears that the SP3 install did something to one of the Windows Installer DLL. To fix it I needed to run the following

  • regsvr32 c:\windows\system32\wups2.dll

After than all updates installed fine. Annoying but not too hard to fix (well only because someone else got there first.

Thanks to lstep for his solution from the MS forums.

, ,

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.